Top Trends and Products at Expo East 2019
We had a blast following along as Expo East 2019 popped up all over social media — liking, commenting and sharing all the industry buzz. With so many innovative products coming to market, we can’t help but feel inspired by the makers who are putting in the work and shaping the future of the food industry.
Here are some of the top trends that dominated the show, as well as some new products we are most excited for.
A top trend at Expo East, plant-based products continue to disrupt traditional meat, dairy and seafood products. Makers are pitching products across all categories, from snacks like jerky and cookies to non-dairy yogurts, cheeses and ice cream.
- Leaf Jerky by Kellogg’s
- P.S. Cookie Dough/Pudding
- Oatly Oatmilk Ice Cream
- Sweet Earth Plant-Based Chicken
From tomato sauces and tapenades to mustards, mayos and marinades, the condiment category is bursting with bold flavors from around the globe.
Keep calm and keto on
Consumers are skipping the sugar and opting for lower carb alternatives to indulgent favorites. A recent study published in Today’s Dietitian identified the ketogenic diet as the top diet trend of 2019, and brands are adding fuel to the fire. New products from all categories were represented at this year’s show — from chocolate to cheese snacks and bread to baking mix.
- Know Brainer – Keto Marshmallows
- Lily’s Sweets – Chocolate Covered Caramels & Popcorn
- Love Good Fats
- Moon Cheese, freeze-dried cheese snacks
Hot on hemp
Consumers are curious about cannabis, and brands are catching on. Food and beverage makers are innovating with hemp extract, offering everything from hemp-infused creamers to nut butters and even cotton candy.
- Daytrip – CBD-infused water
- Revival Hemp + Flax Almond Butter
- Elmhurst Hemp Creamers
- Pure Fluff CBD-infused cotton candy
- Raw Karma – CBD Juices
Going against the grain
While not a new trend, it is one that continues to see steady growth. Companies new and old are offering products made with alternative flours like coconut, cassava and almond.
- B.A.D Food Co. grain-free granola
- Soozy’s Grain-Free Donuts
- Unbun Foods
- Lesser Evil Snacks – grain-free popcorn and puffs
- Julie’s Real – grain-free baking mixes
- FitJoy – grain-free pretzels and puffs
Are there any hot trends or new products we forgot to highlight? Let us know!